Sunday, April 1, 2012

I Love You, Sweet Girl...But Sometimes You are Such a Blessing...

I am convinced that Charlotte is absolutely amazing. She is so much fun, so happy, so smart, super funny, and an all around awesome child to be with. And there are no "buts" to go along with that...except this one:

BUT, the combination of toddlerhood and pregnancy (especially when I apparently grow 9 lb babies) is totally kicking my ass. And I'm going to go ahead and toot my own horn here for a sec, though, and say that I have remained remarkably mobile and energetic up to this point in my pregnancy because I need to be. Charlotte needs me to be. And frankly, I have a lot of sh*t to get done in a day and this house aint gonna run itself.

Charlotte is my little koala bear :) And I absolutely wouldn't have it any other way...except when I have to pee and our bathroom is upstairs and she wants to hitch a ride. NOT hitching a ride is rarely an option...meltdown city, my friends. So I schlep an extra 50 pounds up the stairs (I'm not disclosing how much of that is Charlotte, and how much of that is my barn-sized behind). I'm actually still shocked that I haven't gone into premature labor because she loves her snuggles so much. And by snuggles, I mean demands to be held even more each day because I'm sure she senses there's a newb moving in on her turf soon.

Not exaggerating here, but I carried her in the ring sling for approximately 7 hours combined a couple of days ago. SEVEN. S-E-V-E-N hours. During swim class, grocery shopping, while making cupcakes, while doing my hair, during a promotion ceremony (oh, and during said promotion ceremony she started screaming, "BOOBIE!!" so sitting down to hold her went out the window...into the hall we went haha! Ah, such a blessing.), and during the pot luck that followed. But to be clear, none of this bothered me in the least. It's a good system and we were both happy. The REAL blessing was that when we got home and my aching back desperately needed a hot bath she decided she hated her father and she wanted to join me. Yay for me. What a blessing.

And she has blessed us in so many other ways this week as well. These blessings have included hucking her potty chair into the bath tub along with two rolls of toilet paper, dragging the cat up the stairs by her tail, and rocking Daddy in the eyeball with the corner of a pretty decent sized book at 6 am. Yes, we love her. But sometimes she is such a blessing.

In all seriousness, though, toddlerhood is coming on strong and is not easy. But these crazy things she does really are blessings because they are typical, and normal, and sometimes too damned ridiculous NOT to laugh at. We are blessed that she is confident enough to explore every aspect of her world. I am blessed because she knows that Mommy is home base and she can come to me for comfort any time of the day or night. I am blessed that she is doing everything a toddler should do. And just when it seems like my aching back can't take another lift, I am blessed that she runs to me to pick her up so that she can smother me with kisses (or bite me, depending on the mood) and remind me why the hardest jobs are the best jobs.



No comments:

Post a Comment